Thursday, May 28, 2009

Artist in Residence

*
One of the fun things about the end of the school year is when Dylan brings home his art portfolio and I get to see all his creations.
*
After he tells me about each piece, we remove the old pictures from his bedroom door (which opens into the kitchen) and hang the new art there for display.
*
He has a great deal of natural talent, which becomes more impressive year-by year.
*
My favorite this year is the chalk drawing of the man in the turban. (At first I thought it was a woman, but Dylan set me straight.)

I love the smooth, blended colors, plus there is something captivating about the features of the face, something expressive. It's like I can't look away!
*
There's a lot of artistic talent in my family. My dad has a creative mind and he used to do amazing sketches, though I haven't seen him draw in years. LeRoy and Darryl inherited Dad's ability to sketch well.
*
For myself, art was once the only thing I cared to study. I dreamed of becoming a sculptor, illustrator, fashion designer, interior decorator, or architect. I wish I'd had the courage to follow those dreams when I was young.
Despite the creative genes in our blood, Sarah and Jacob have no interest in the visual arts (though Sarah is a wonderful violinist). None at all. I was stunned that my own children hated art class.
*
So I was thrilled when my youngest child had both the interest and the talent to pursue my old passion. Sarah and Jacob have many other great skills I admire, but it's still nice that at least one of my children is artistic!
*
This is Dylan with his favorite drawing by his mom. He's always dragging it out to show his friends. It's a sketch of the dragon Smaug from J.R.R. Tolkien's book, The Hobbit. Maybe I'll finish it one day...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Is that why he attempts to draw dragons? I really liked the, "Man in the Turban" the colors are very dynamic.

Grandma Honey said...

I agree, those are unique features on that turban guy. Like he's real. Your boy does have talent. He comes by it naturally. Just like his mom. I remember some of the drawings you did when you were quite young...I was just in awe.

ashley b said...

i am always hoping that my boys will take interest in some of my hobbies and not just sports like their dad. :) dylan definitely has real talent. i remember when i was little my dad would always draw these funny people doing funny things (you know my dad) and one time he told me that grandpa was really great at drawing. i was so surprised and am yet to see any of his things...wish i could. :) i think art is such a great outlet!