Saturday, May 30, 2009

Your Wish Is My Command

When I mentioned in my last post that I was at Disneyland in 1955, the year it opened, my good friend Jill commented, "Too bad you didn't have a picture of you at Disneyland at 9 months old."
*
Guess what I have? This one is for you, Jill!
*
I must confess, I was wrong on the date. I had written that we were there in June 1955, when I was 9 months old. Actually, it was August 1955 and I was 11 months old. My bad.
*
My dad, Myron, that young James Dean-look alike, was just a few weeks away from turning 21. His birthday is 3 days after mine.
*
*
You may recognize where we are standing in this larger version of the photo. That's the big wood stockade wall around Frontierland.
*
Oddly enough, there are only 2 photos from this Disneyland visit, probably because my parents were very much into home movies at this time.
*
There's oodles of footage from this trip on my parents' old reels of film. In fact, I get a kick out of the old movies, because every time a plane flew overhead, my dad stopped filming Disneyland to film the plane!
Planes weren't all that new and fascinating in the 1950s. It was probably because my dad built planes for North American Aviation at that time.
*
Here's the other picture, taken on Main Street. I'm the fuzzy-headed blonde in the stroller at bottom left.
*
The little boy conducting the marching band is prominently featured in our home movies!
*
No wonder I love Disneyland. It's part of my heritage!

1 comment:

Grandma Honey said...

Thank you for the picture! It was a very nostalgic feeling seeing you there with your very young dad...not even 21 yet? Wow. And your mom even younger. Hang tight to those home movies. Someday you will be able to put those on your blog too.