Friday, May 15, 2009

My Heart in His Hands

There are moments when we know what really matters and where our faith truly lies. I had one of those moments last night.
*
I have an arrhythmia, an irregular heartbeat that occurs from time to time. It's been part of my life for about 12 years now. It's benign, a minor annoyance that surfaces occasionally and then goes away. Bump...bump...bump...POW! Or bump...bump...bump...gurgle. Or bump...bump...bump...squish.
*
You learn to live with it.
*
But yesterday my arrhythmia went crazy all day. As usual, I tried to ignore it. It rarely lasts more than 20-30 minutes, but this time is was a continual presence.
*
By bedtime there were no regular beats at all. No comforting bump...bump...bumps between the uneasy sensations.
*
I had an impression that I should drive myself to the emergency room.
They got me right in. My pulse was so erratic the nurse couldn't even get a blood pressure.
*
They put me on oxygen, drew blood, hooked me to a heart monitor, and started an IV to replenish my electrolytes and fluids. Two bags worth of fluids
*
Then I was hooked up to about 16 electrodes for an EKG.
I lay there staring at this ceiling, with its cloud-painted light covers, for 3-and-a-half hours. Lots of time to think.
*
There was no fear. I know without doubt that our spirits are eternal and death is just a transition. But there was much concern in my mind. If my heart stopped, who would love and care for my children as I do? What would their lives be like if everything changed in an instant?
*
I remember making the decision to place my heart in God's hands. "I can accept dying now if it's Thy will," I prayed in my mind, "but please take care of my children. Provide them with the love and support they need."
*
It was one of those defining moments.
Death is easy; leaving my kids, not so much.
Test results showed my potassium and thyroid levels were both low. I was fortified with a potassium pill the size of a boat, armed with a prescription for thyroid medication, and ordered to eat a banana-a-day. (Not very low-carb!)
*
When my arrhythmia returned to its usual sporadic level and my blood pressure was normal, they let me go home to my sleeping sweethearts.
I slept for 4 hours and then I got up and went to work. Today was a long day, but my arrhythmia was subdued.
*
The EKG showed that I had 3 different types of arrhythmia going on at once, but since they do not originate in the bottom of the heart and my heart seems to be healthy, they should be harmless.
*
The cause? "Do you smoke?" No. "Drink alcohol?" No "Caffeine or sports drinks?" No. "Too much stress?" BINGO!
*
Thus my tale has a happy ending. But just in case the unexpected happens and I'm no longer around...
*
I want my family and friends and colleagues to know how important you've each been to my life and how much I've loved you all.
*
And please, please, watch over my children.

4 comments:

L3TitBL33D said...

Man, I've been there for sure :\ it's not pretty, I wonder if I have an arrhythmia?? I get a slow beat and then a few weird ones that don't sound like they're coming from my heart, just goes through my whole body like a quake. I'm glad you pulled through like a champ of course, I know you're like me and were self-diagnosing everything before you went in. I know I need to quit doing that :) When I was in the 'pital for those 5 days I remember thinking alot that I would be the baby to be with mom and I got this warm feeling (my dang spirit again) that mom wasn't happy with me thinking that, and I needed to treat myself better and be here for the family. That's what kicked me in the rear to start living healthy again. Just send your kids this was, if anything happens we would love to "learn'em ta be Missura redneks" HA! HA! HA! You should try the stuff Tam's taking, I've noticed a huge difference in her demeanor when she gets home, she actually glows when she gets her and isn't all butt-dragging anymore, pretty spectacular and she is just so calm now. Luv ya and you better be around for a long time I couldn't imagine what the world would miss without you in it....

Grandma Honey said...

I read this late last night and then went to bed thinking about you. I can't imagine driving myself to the ER! What a scary night for you...and then you go home and sleep for only 4 hours and then go to work! I've also had this problem for years. When it gets bad I eat bananas and more greens and that helps alot. But for years I had no idea what it was or how to control it. It also makes me feel very tired when it is going on. That is interesting what they told you about it not originating in the bottom of your heart, as being a good thing. I never knew that. Hang in there Mary. You need to stay with us all for a very long time to come!

LORI said...

CRAZY. SO GLAD ALL ENDED WELL! I HOPE YOU FOLLOW THIS VISIT UP AND MAKE SURE THAT THE FOODS YOU ARE EATING DAY TO DAY SUPPORT YOUR HEART HEALTH. AVOCADOS ARE VERY HIGH IN POTASSIUM TOO, AND THEY MIGHT BE A BETTER CHOICE FOR YOU--LOOK INTO IT...PLEASE! YOU'LL BE WITH US FOR A VERY LONG TIME TO COME, I'M SURE OF IT, CAN'T IMAGINE IT ANY OTHER WAY! LOVE YOU, LORI AND FAM

Unknown said...

I am glad that you are OK. It has truly been a blessing having you in my life. Here is a web page I found for you, it has a list of potassium rich foods. There are lots of low carb options, besides bananas... (of course which Dr. would let you know that?) :) Take care, and have a relaxing weekend only 5 days left..

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/potassium-rich-foods-list-of-foods-high-in-potassium.html