Sunday, May 10, 2009

In the Mother 'Hood

Here's a shout out for a Happy Mother's Day to all you gals who inhabit the Mother 'hood! What a great place to be!
*
I also want to say thanks to the three little 'hood-lums who got me my place here in the 'hood! Without them, I wouldn't be who I am today ("Mom")!
*
This was taken back in Sept 2001, when Sarah was 11 (almost 12), Jacob was 10, and Dylan was 4. It's one of my favorite pictures of them.
*
They truly are wonderful children and a great blessing to my life. I can't even imagine life without them. Everything I do, I do for them.
*
When I got out of the shower this morning, I could hear them all scurrying around the kitchen, happily whispering and shushing each other, so I knew something was up.
*
After I was ready for church, I came out of the bedroom to find they'd planned and prepared a candlelight breakfast for me, complete with roses and glitter strewn on the tray!
*
It's times like this that help me get through the daily struggles we all experience here in the Mother 'hood.


I'd also like to express my appreciation for my own mother, Jane Butler, who passed away 7 years ago. Here she is at age 17 with me, about a month old, Oct. 1954. [I believe her older brother, Uncle LeRoy, sent me that little red outfit from Korea.]
*
If I could sum up her greatest gift to me in one sentence, I would say, "Thanks, Mom, for teaching me the importance of motherhood and showing me the blessings it brings." She knew there is no greater calling in this world.
And I'd like to say how grateful I am for both my grandmothers, Alta Haley (left) and Myrtle Butler (right). They both stood only 4' 11" but they had huge spirits and big personalities. No matter how silly I was as a child or teenager, their love and acceptance was constant.
*
Here they are with me at my high school graduation in June 1972. Grandma Haley was 66, Grandma Butler was 76, and I was 17.
*
My love and gratitude to the rest of you Moms out there who have touched my life and been an example to me throughout the years.
*
Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

LORI said...

HAPPY MOM'S DAY TO YOU, TOO! IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAD A GREAT DAY!

Grandma Honey said...

What a sweet post Mary. I still can't get over the fact that your mom was only 17 when she had you. What responsibility at such a young age, yet she went on to raise more children and was married a long time...something that does not happen often when having such a young start.
What good devoted children you have. I have good kids too but I don't remember them ever making me breakfast!