Monday, June 29, 2009

A Fresh Coat

Long ago we had a leak in the roof over my office, which is adjacent to my bedroom.
*
Sadly, we were unaware of it for months, because it ran down the wall behind some shelves and boxes and puddled beneath them.
*
Those shelves held scrap books, photos, family history books, and journals. Some were damaged.
After a good cry, I salvaged what I could and had Mark tear out the section of wall that had mildewed.
*
A friend came and put up new drywall during Christmas break. The shelves had to come down. All the items from the shelves were stacked here and there.
*
Over the past 6 months, those stacks have shifted to various locations and become quite unsightly.
*
I'd decided the shelves would not go back up until we painted my office. The new drywall was obvious and the wall behind the shelves was badly water-stained.
All the work that goes into moving furniture and painting a room is simply not an option for a single working mom of my advanced years while school is in session.
*
So this is the mess I've been enduring for 6 months. This is where I blog and email and write my novels. It's been killing my hyper-organized OCD soul!
*
Until today!
Well maybe not today, but by the end of this week for sure!
*
Today we started painting. So where did all the stacks from the office go? Into my bedroom, of course!
*
Can you see my bed buried under the mountain of miscellania? I'm not sure where this will all go tonight when I'm ready to crawl into bed.
*
Still, now I can at least envision a lovely day of organized shelves and neatly stacked food storage boxes, a wonderful time of books and photos and files that will be exactly where I want them to be.
*
Dylan bailed on us, but Sarah and Jacob worked hard all day with me. Sarah was an especially stalwart trooper, continuing until almost 11pm.
*
In the 3rd photo, notice the little desk extension to the left of my desk. Jacob decided that would be a good place to stand while painting the ceiling. He broke through all 3 shelves, demolishing the whole thing.
My desk is much smaller now. Luckily all the books had been removed from that section beforehand.
*
Oh--and Jacob's okay, too. Just a little embarrassed.
*
So the work is underway! When the construction dust has cleared and my OCD whims have been satisfied, I will share my newly refurbished office on this blog. I can't wait!

3 comments:

Scott and Genevieve said...

Painting! We have decided that after living in our white walled home for almost five years now, we are going to start painting. It is a big job we are learning. We only have one bedroom done so far and we are already tired of it! Good luck getting it all together!

Grandma Honey said...

Oh yes, please do share it when you have it finished. Much more is going on here than getting your room fixed up. Look what your kids are learning!

LORI said...

YEA FOR YOU! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE TO PAINT, DON'T YA WISH I LIVED CLOSER?! I AM CURRENTLY TRYING TO CONVINCE LEROY THAT I SHOULD REPAINT OUR MASTER BEDROOM AND REDECORATE--IT'S NOT GOING WELL! IT'S A COST THING FOR THE MOST PART, BUT I TRY NOT TO LET LITTLE THINGS LIKE MONEY STAND IN MY WAY! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOUR NEWLY PAINTED OFFICE AND LOVELY BOOK-FILLED SHELVES!