Friday, June 26, 2009

My Son the Adult

Today Jacob turned 18.
*
For the past year he has grumbled several times, "I can't wait until I'm 18 so you can't tell me what to do anymore!"
*
Now that day is finally here, and he's realizing that being an adult isn't about getting to do whatever you want, it's about making responsible decisions on your own so others won't be forced to make those choices for you.
Yesterday he told me, "I don't think I'm ready to be 18."
*
Ah, if only we could keep them babies forever!
*
Here we are on June 26, 1991, dropping Sarah off at the home of our friends Kim and Jona, before heading to the hospital to have Jacob delivered by c-section.
*
Mark was 23, Sarah was 20 months, and I was 36.

Jacob Timothy was born at 8:13 that morning. Here he is the next day, one day old.

Unlike his sister, Jacob was perfectly healthy even though he was born 3 weeks early. 8 lbs 5 oz. It was a rough ride, though.

I wanted a normal delivery this time, but I developed gestational diabetes and high blood pressure.

Mark gave me insulin shots 3 times a day. I was on bed rest most of the month before Jacob's birth.

The doctor did an amnio to make sure Jacob's lungs were mature; then they delivered him right away. Dr. Jackson felt a c-section was safer for me.

Other than a case of jaundice (I called him my pumpkin baby), Jacob was beautiful and perfect, so it all ended happily.

He is 4 months old in this bouncy chair photo.

*

*

Here he is at 8 months old, enjoying his breakfast toast.

Jacob was an easy baby for about 7 months. Then one day he discovered that his doting big sister wasn't going to satisfy his every whim. He got angry and held his breath--until he passed out.
*
Luckily, I'd been a nanny for many years and knew there was no need to panic. They pass out, they start breathing again.
*
He kept it up for the next two years. After he turned 2 he finally figured out that holding his breath was uncomfortable, and it wasn't even working for him.
*
Other than that, Jacob was a very happy, cuddly baby who brought great joy to our home. Sarah adored him and loved to mother him, which he endured well but didn't always appreciate.
*
Now, at ages 18 and 19, Sarah and Jacob are good friends. They have their disagreements--usually about whose turn it is to feed the rabbits or sweep the kitchen--but they get along well and are there for each other in a pinch.
*
Here we have Jacob at 9 months. He'd woken from a nap in a portable crib at Great Grandma Carter's house in Mesa. Jacob always woke up in a happy mood. (He didn't get that from me!)
*
This is me with Jacob in May 1992. He was 10 months old and I was 37. I think we were on a camping trip.
*
*
*
*


*
*
*
*
*
*
*
We really seemed to like these high chair poses for Jacob! But he was so darn cute at meal time!
*
This is June 1992, about 2 weeks before his first birthday.
*
It looks like Butler goulash (a recipe my mother created) and saltine crackers were on the menu.
*
July 1992: One-year-old Jacob decided to take a nose dive from atop his high chair.
*
Still adorable anyway!
*
Motherhood certainly presents its challenges, but I can't imagine life without my children. I feel so blessed to be the mother of 3 such great kids!
*
It was magical when Sarah was born and I experienced the joy of nurturing one of the sweet spirits sent from heaven to our family.
*
When Jacob entered our world, that magic doubled and overflowed.
Here is 14-month-old Jacob in September 1992.
*
I'm very proud of the young man Jacob has become. He has a gift for reaching out and touching those around him. His heart is compassionate and generous. He is conscientious and diligent in his leadership responsibilities.
*
I'm so grateful to have enjoyed the past 18 years as his mother. What a blessing he is to me and our family.
*
Happy Birthday, Jacob! We love you!

4 comments:

Dennis said...

I never realized before that Sarah and Jacob are as close in age as my last 2 sons. I just can't get enough of your pictures from the past.
(btw, I'm on Den's laptop in a hotel room in Sacramento)

Jill

Unknown said...

Jacob was such a beautiful baby with those HUGE blue eye's!

LORI said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JACOB! WHAT A WONDERFUL GIFT YOU'VE GIVEN HIM, MARY, WITH THESE PICTURES AND MEMORIES!

Scott and Genevieve said...

Happy Birthday, Jacob!