Monday, June 8, 2009

Playing with Our Food

*
Sarah and I have completed week 2 of our renewed commitment to healthy eating, with mixed results.

And with all the heavy housework we've been doing for the past week, we're getting a pretty good workout, too!
*

It's so great to be home for the summer. I love having time to focus on the things I love most: my children, our home, our health, and my many various projects.

This was tonight's dinner, just before we rushed off to Dylan's ballgame: ham, turkey, provolone, and a tomato slice folded into a lettuce leaf instead of bread.

Last night we cajoled Jacob into making us a batch of sugar-free No-Bake Cookies. Yummy!

One project I've been working on (but far from being finished) is organizing hundreds of low-carb recipes I've collected over the past 9 years. I need a system to try one or two each week. Then we can vote on each as to whether to keep or toss it.
Cutting back on bread can be tricky at lunch time. Sandwiches are so quick and easy! When Jacob made tuna salad for lunch a few days ago, Sarah and I solved the problem by serving the tuna on slices of cheese, cheddar for her and Monterey jack for me.
*
Jacob put diced olives, tomato, and red onion in the tuna--with just slightly too much mayo. I'll recommend he cut back next time!
One day I was totally craving onion soup, so I looked up a recipe online. I found one I liked, converted it to low-carb, and voila!
*
The kids thought onion soup sounded disgusting, but they tried it and ended up eating 2 full bowls each. They loved it, and so did I!
*
What did we do before the Internet?

And here's a delicious breakfast I created a few years ago. On a microwaveable plate, arrange some leftover chopped broccoli. Top it with diced onion and tomato, then heat in the microwave.
*
Meanwhile, whip up a batch of scrambled eggs and shred some cheese. When the eggs are done, arrange them on top of the vegetables, spread the cheese on top, and sprinkle with paprika.
It's my favorite breakfast!
*
Sarah did great this week, losing 3 more pounds for a total 7 lb loss.
*
As for me, I struggled just to maintain in the face of PMS bloat. I only lost one-fifth of a pound (groan) for a total of 20.3 lbs. gone. Still, I'm happy that I didn't gain.
*
*
A few of you are thinking, "Wait, where are the recipes?!" Well, here they are:
*
No-Bake Cookies
1 stick butter
1/3 cup natural-style peanut butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
3 Tbsp cocoa
3 cups oatmeal
2 cups Splenda
*
Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over low heat and stir until well blended. Form into balls and flatten on wax paper. We usually eat them right away, but they're even better if refrigerated for an hour or so.
*
*
Creamy Vidalia Soup
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups water
2 cups chicken stock or broth
4 Tbsp butter
1 large vidalia onion, peeled and chopped
8 green onions, trimmed, peeled, and finely cut
1 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
*
Combine the cream, water, and chicken broth in a large soup pan and heat on medium-low setting. Do not bring to boil. Meanwhile, over medium heat, melt butter in a saucepan and saute the chopped vidalia for 3 minutes. Add the sauteed onion to the creamy broth and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Finally, add the green onions, garlic salt, and pepper; then stir to blend well before serving.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am going to have to try both of these recipes. I am back on this week as well. I have a total of a 4 lbs. loss. I ate a low carb sandwich for lunch today, with low carb ice cream for dessert. How many carbs are in the no bake cookies? I enjoy reading the Atkins posts, you always have great food ideas. Also watching you and Sarah succeed is such an inspiration to me 45 miles away... FYI I recently bought a box of the South Beach diet Bars, they are cheaper than the Atkins brand, they do have a higher carb count because they have a tad of sugar. They would be good for the OWL (ongoing weight loss, for those that do not know the Atkins lingo :)) phase of the diet.

Good luck and please keep posting these tasty ideas, going without bread at lunch is tricky!

LORI said...

THANKS FOR THE RECIPES, I'LL HAVE TO TRY THEM! YUM!