Monday, February 16, 2009

Chocolate Rush!

The week before Valentines Day was a challenge and I must finally confess to cheating a little! It's so hard to resist those chocolate candies coming at me from every direction!
*
Nonetheless, I still made some progress. For one thing, I didn't allow my cheats to convince me give up and believe I'm too weak to be successful. I got right back to eating right, which has never happened before. I tend to have an all-or-nothing personality.
*
For another thing, I managed to lose another 2.4 lbs, making it a total of 17.7 lbs. gone in 6 weeks. And I don't want it back!
At Monday's department chair meeting the table was laden with bowls of pretzels and Cheez-its, but the real temptation was bags of peanut M&Ms strewn about. I love M&Ms, but I was able to resist.
*
Wednesday night Jacob baked 2 pans of from-scratch brownies. (He took one next-door to say thanks for plowing our driveway.) The heavenly aroma filled the house and made my mouth water, but I stood strong.
On Thursday in the teachers' workroom I found 12 hand-dipped candies (see above photo) in my box. It was left for me by our church Relief Society presidency. My friend Nicole and I were sorely tempted, but she broke out her Atkins peanut butter cups and we managed to resist.
*
But then I took the candies home to give my kids. Before I knew it, I'd eaten 3 delicious chocolate-covered cherries myself. Hey, it just seemed rude to give away all 12 candies when someone worked so hard on them!
Last night our home teacher brought us a plate of homemade chocolate chip cookies, another of my favorites. I could hardly bear it, so I ate half a cookie before I handed the plate off to my children.
*
So yes, I did cheat, but they were "controlled" cheats like I've never managed before. I can honestly say I've never stopped at just half a cookie in my entire life!
As for the chocolate cherries, in the past I would have said, "Okay, I blew it," then gone on to have spaghetti and garlic bread or something equally carb-loaded for dinner, telling myself I'd start again in a week or so.
*
So I do consider these to be small victories that I hope will help me do better as I approach my goals.
*
Besides, I lasted an entire month before I weakened, and it took a chocolate-centic holiday to make me do it. I think that's not too bad!
*
Now I am back on the horse--at least until Easter!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are getting the winning attitude adjustment, instead of the Oh well may as well eat more junk attitude! Good job!

LORI said...

IF THAT BIG CHOCOLATE BUNNY COMES TO TEASE YOU AT EASTER, JUST BITE HIS HEAD OFF! OH NO, WHAT AM I SAYING???!!!!!