Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sixty Seconds of Snow



Perhaps you can tell I love snow. Although I played in the snow a few times as a child, I never truly saw falling snow until we moved here to the White Mountains. Ever since then, those fat flakes softly, silently falling have felt like magic to me. I took this video on Sunday morning when the current weather pattern moved into our area. It's been snowing off and on since then, and last night we got about 10 inches more so school was cancelled today.

This is the only snow that Fresno ever received during the 12 years I spent growing up there. It was so exciting to see all that white stuff on the ground early in the morning.
*
However, by the time I left for school the snow had stopped, and by the time I returned home that afternoon it had all melted. So much for my big plans for building an igloo after school!

I remember how I fantasized in my 2nd grade class all day about playing in my igloo!

I also recall that LeRoy was thrilled about the snow until he actually stuck his hands in it. He wasn't too jazzed about his wet, freezing hands after that!

This was in February 1962. I was 7 years old and LeRoy was about a month from his 3rd birthday.



This is me this morning heading into the backyard. I'm a lot bigger now and the snow is a lot deeper!



Diego also adores the snow. Here is Sarah kicking up the snow, which he loves to leap up and catch in his mouth. By the time they're done playing, he looks like the Abominable Snowdog!

This is the southwest corner of our backyard. To me it looks so peaceful and inviting under its sparkling white blanket.

Our next-door neighbor just dropped by to plow our driveway, using his ATV equipped with a snow plow shovel. What a nice surprise! We went out to let him know how much his kindness was appreciated!
*
*
On another note, we have 2 new blogs to announce! Dylan has been begging to start a blog for about a month, so we set it up today. His blog, Dylan's Daring Discoveries, can be found at:
*
Sarah then followed suit and started her new blog, Sarah's Sweet Surprises, found at:
*
Their blogs can also be accessed via the left panel with all my other favorite bloggers' sites. Check them out!

3 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

I loved your video, especially your narration. Made me feel like I was actually there with you. I miss your voice.
Hey, I don't remember it ever snowing like that in Fresno! How could I have missed that? That must have been the most it snowed in Fresno EVER. :)

LORI said...

I LOVE THE VIDEO AND OF COURSE, THE OLDER SNOW PICS SINCE MY HUBBY IS IN THEM TOO! I WILL LOOK AT THE KIDS' BLOGS TOMORROW, I REALLY NEED TO GO TO BED SO I CAN GET UP IN 5 HOURS TO BEGIN MY 2ND OF 3 LONG TERM SUB JOBS THIS YEAR! YEA!

L3TitBL33D said...

Great pics Mar... I'll have to check out the kid's blogger-snoggers and find them on FB. Luv Ya