Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentines Dance

The good news is: Jacob's hair is still its natural dark blond color! (Although I'm a bit disappointed his date didn't at least give him a haircut!)
*
The bad news is: Only about 30 students came to the dance. (But they had fun!)
*
The good news is: The dance ended at 10pm due to low attendance, so I got home an hour earlier than expected!
*
This is Jacob and his date Chelsea.
*


There was a stake youth Valentines Dance at our church less than half a mile from the school. Since many of our students are LDS, that probably explains a lot about our low numbers.
*
Almost everyone who left our dance at 10pm went to the stake dance for the rest of the night, even the kids who aren't LDS.
*
Here are some of Jacob's friends: Jacob and Chelsea; Bryce and Monique; and Tony and Jamie.
*
Don't ask me--this shot was the girls' idea!
*
You would think my son and his friends would be embarrassed to have his mom--a teacher, no less!--hanging around and taking pictures all night, but instead the girls kept hugging me and asking for advice.
*
The guys even came to me for instructions on how to slow dance correctly!
I really did keep a low profile for most of the night, though, allowing the kids to do their own thing without interference. I stood against the wall and chatted with the other teachers like a good chaperone should.
*
Here's almost half the crowd doing the Funky Monkey, some new-fangled hip-hop line dance thingy.
This is why I teach high school. Teens are always so interesting and entertaining. They put on a show of coolness, but inside they have big hearts and a great desire to be good people.
*
One day I will miss these years of high school dances and clubs. Someday I may even miss the intricacies of steering my teenage son through his first dating experiences!
*
And so we survived the Valentines Dance. Next stop: Junior/Senior Prom!

1 comment:

LORI said...

IT LOOKS LIKE A GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL!